Monday, March 17, 2014

A Return to Green Pastures

Until very recently, humans have had a harmonious relationship with animals. Perhaps the most beautiful passage ever written about this relationship is from Psalms, 23: 

"The LORD is my Shepherd, I shall not  want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside still waters, He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."

Imagine, a shepherd being likened to God! A shepherd, tending with such consummate care and tenderness, that the relationship between he and his flock is sacred. A shepherd, possessing all that is wise and righteous, a completely dependable source for moral guidance. 

It's clear that we cannot feed today's population on meat from green pastures. We cannot even feed the world on meat, period, no matter how horrifically we mistreat animals. But once we come to see this, and meat is phased out of the global supply, we can shepherd what populations remain with the reverence they deserve, and in so doing, manifest the true potential and glory of humanity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment